Monday 3 September 2012

Day 9: Lunch & Dinner


Well I decided that I couldn't go on eating the amount of food I was eating, without something terrible happening. So for lunch I had a chicken pasty from a place called Simba: Rwanda's answer to the supermarket. Not particularly exotic, I know, and I'm sorry about that.

After lunch I had to visit somebody for work, and along the way I learnt gusura (to visit), and from a billboard advertising 'beer for men', I learnt the words abagabo (men) and umugoba (man). Oh and amafaranga means 'money'. It's written on all the bank notes.

To make up for the boring lunch, for the first time ever, I have been able to name everything on the table at dinner. There was umuceri (rice), igitoki (plantain), imboga (vegetables - they were green), and ubunyobwa (peanut sauce). The peanut sauce that the old man made was so much better than those I've had from buffets. One of Albert's friends (there were four of us, and no Albert) taught me mwiriwe (good afternoon), mwirirwe (goodbye), and muramuke (goodnight).

Muramuke!

No comments:

Post a Comment