Saturday 1 September 2012

Day 7: Lunch

Most of the day was spent driving around for Albert's work. This is a village in which we stopped. In the background is a volcano and a large bird of prey. STOP.


For lunch we stopped at the Rwandan favourite, a buffet, where I had rice, beans, a white mush made from maize/corn (underneath the pink sauce), peanut sauce (the pink sauce), and what are those last two things on my plate? Well, the shorter, more orange fellow is the cassava root*, the leaves of which make sombe. And the other? Is that a banana (umuneke)? Ah, don't worry, it's just a boiled plantain (igitoki). The buffet was 1000frw, and I had a Fanta (I had asked for Orange juice. This has happened a few times here.) which cost 400frw. So in total, approx. £1.50. Bargain.

*When I looked up cassava in the dictionary, it informed me that careful preparation of the root is needed to remove traces of cyanide(!).

No comments:

Post a Comment