Saturday 1 September 2012

Day 7: Breakfast

Scott. You have desire to see Northern Province? Albert had asked me this a few days ago. He was going away for the night on business and asked if I wished to come with him. I did. We will take breakfast at 8.30 and we will leave at 9. We did.


For breakfast I had a tower of fluffy ruffs/eggy bread, and a cup of Rwandan tea without milk.


Albert told me to sit in the front of the car, and he sat in the back with his girlfriend. This is my driver. he said pointing at the man next to me. He is very good. The driver was good, and Albert kept repeating the fact. Very good. Very, very good. He wasn't what we would think of in England as a 'good driver', but in a country where few roads have markings (or pavements), where cars have to muscle their way through crowds of pedestrians and scooters, and where the right line is the racing line, he was a good driver.


We went through little villages, where corrugated-metal houses were surrounded by plantain trees and woven fences. Children were waiting outside ready to wave at any cars that passed. If they saw me they would wave and shout Muzungo! Muzungo! Muzungo!

Muzungo! Muzungo! Muzungo! Albert laughed, when you are with a muzungo, they cannot see you. They can only see the muzungo.

No comments:

Post a Comment